A historic cross has been restored to the dome of the Chapel of the Holy Myrrhbearers in Jerusalem as part of ongoing restoration work on one of the Old City’s historic Orthodox Christian structures.
The Jerusalem Orthodox Church announced that on July 28, Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem blessed the lifting and return of the ancient cross to the top of the renovated dome following the morning service. Representatives of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre took part in the ceremony.
The Chapel of the Holy Myrrhbearers is part of a group of three interconnected chapels on the western side of the atrium of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The structures originally formed a baptistery built during the reign of Emperor Constantine the Great.
Throughout its history, the chapel has faced significant challenges. In 1927, the building was damaged by a powerful earthquake, with the dome suffering particularly severe destruction. The Jerusalem Patriarchate has emphasized that the restoration work is being carried out with careful attention to the architectural and historical importance of the site, with the goal of preserving its original appearance as much as possible.
The restoration project is being overseen closely by the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre, an ancient monastic community under the Jerusalem Patriarchate responsible for safeguarding Orthodox Christian holy sites in the Holy Land.
Once all restoration efforts are completed, the Jerusalem Patriarchate plans to hold an official consecration ceremony for the renewed chapel. The service will be led by Patriarch Theophilos and attended by clergy and faithful.
-
Invisible Wings
Yana Kapaeva
All Authors